Chickasha Oklahoma History
The Grady County Fairgrounds Event Center, founded in 1939 as an EPA project and updated in 2000, is one of Oklahoma's leading venues. The Art Deco sandstone building, built in 1939, is of great importance to the community of Chickasha, Oklahoma. In Grady's County Oklahoma, efforts are ongoing to renovate and plan for the future the fairground that played a major role during World War II.
The collection includes artefacts from the early pioneers who settled in the northwest corner of the Chickasaw Nation, such as the pre-statehood mural of the Geronimo Hotel. The museum also displays military objects related to the Borden Air Force Base and the W.B. flying school from the time of World War II. It was recently renovated and now houses an antique car museum where you can learn about the history of trains in Chickasha and its history as an important part of Oklahoma's railroad history. The collection includes artifacts from the early settlers who settled in and around the Northwest Corner, artifacts from the Rock Island Railroad, items for the WWII flying school, and much more.
This includes interviews conducted by government officials and thousands of Oklahoma Homers during the 1930s about the colonization of the Native American lands of Oklahoma.
Several locations in Chickasha have been registered on the National Register of Historic Places, including the U.S. Post Office and the federal courthouse, which is currently used as Chick Sasha City Hall. The building was in dilapidated condition and was in decay until 1987, when it was included in the Oklahoma Landmark Database. Places in 2005, the school was restored and preserved before moving to Chickashas in 2004 and being placed on the National Register of Historic Places. A team of 31 students and doctoral students from the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Oklahoma studied historic buildings.
For more information about Grady County cemeteries, including the people buried there, see this list on Findagrave. Here is a list of all the historic sites in the Grade County communities of Chickasha and Oklahoma City.
Search for your ancestors listed in the Dawes role from 1898 - 1906 (see FamilySearch's catalog of places where you can search for instructions). To find records in your district, use the Findagrave search tool in the top right corner of your browser's search bar.
Next, the trail runs parallel to the Chisholm Trail into Chickasaw Land in the Indian Territory near Minco and continues at selected points to the Red River. Second, Chickasha is one of the few towns on the Rock Island Strait that was then named after the tribal area. The Choctaw Tribe, which had been assigned Indian territory by the US Department of Indian Affairs in the late 19th century, were given a name for their territory. In 1901, a Kiowa and Comanche reservation was opened, adjacent to the former Chick-Awaw Nation, and in 1901, members of that tribe, along with members of other tribes, opened their own reservation in Oklahoma.
Alex's steady and busy expansion and prosperity did not stop when the land bearing his name was recognised as a vast territory on November 16, 1907. With this achievement, Alex and Grady County, Oklahoma, became one of the largest and wealthiest counties in the United States. Its geographical location proved to be an important factor in its success, as did its proximity to the Chickasaw Reservation, and with the creation of this new reservation in 1907, a new county with about 1,000 inhabitants was established in Oklahoma.
With the creation of new businesses just before the state of Oklahoma, a variety of goods and services became available. The Rock Island Railroad laid tracks from Kansas to meet the needs of transportation throughout the country, and then came two other railroads, the Santa Fe Railroad (initially called Oklahoma Central) and the New York and New Jersey Railroad. In addition to the Rock Island Railroad, the markets of this area were connected by the Great Plains Railway, Oklahoma Territory, which ended at the northwest corner of the future Grady County.
A community bank has served as a local, independent family business in central and southwest Oklahoma since 1892. The foundation took place in 1892, when the tracks of the Indian Territory were built, but it did not take place until 1894, when tracks were built into the Indian Territory.
In 1892, the town of Chickasha was founded as a whistle - a stop for the Rock Island Railroad for a few months. Although there was no real town, there were small settlements and huts for several months as they covered their tracks. The couple eventually sold their parcel to a municipal company, which was refounded a few years later, in 1894.
In response to the changing needs of the time, the school became coeducational and adopted the name Oklahoma College of Liberal Arts in 1965. Between 1911 and 1921, Dr. George W. Criswell was the first president of Oklahoma State University. In 1924, he resigned to become professor of medicine at the University of Oklahoma, where he served as the successor to the late Dr. George W. Truett until his death in 1953.